Friday, March 29, 2013

29. Death -- Anna Ida Treuthardt Krieg, March 29, 1939

March 29, 1939 is the anniversary date of the death of Anna Ida Treuthardt Krieg.   She died at the age of 67, after surgery for breast cancer.   She was living in Thrall, Texas, next door to her son's family, Oscar and Pauline Krieg, and their sons.   Also her other sons and their wives and children lived in Thrall.   (I think Aunt Anna's family had already moved to West Texas in 1939.)    She was most fortunate and blessed to be in the company of her children and grandchildren, who took care of things for her in her last years.   Active in St. John's Lutheran Church, Thrall, the pastor had visited her recently, before her death.    Psalm 23, and this hymn taken from it, she would have known well. 


The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want
He makes me down to lie 
In pastures green;  He leadeth me 
The quiet waters by. 

My soul He doth restore again 
And me to walk doth make 
Within the paths of righteousness,
E'en for His own name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale, 
Yet will I fear no ill;  
For Thou art with me, and Thy rod
And staff me comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnished 
In presence of my foes; 
My head Thou dost with oil anoint,
And my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life 
Shall surely follow me;
And in God's house forevermore
My dwelling place shall be. 

"The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want" 
The Lutheran Service Book, 710 
Text:  Psalm 23, The Psalms of David in Meeter, Edinburg, 1650, 
Tune:  William Gardiner, 1770-1853, 
setting: The Lutheran Hymnal, 1941 
 Today, March 29, 2013, is Good Friday. 

7.  Lord, by love and mercy driven,
You once left Your throne in heaven
On the cross for me to languish 
And to die in bitter anguish.
To forego all joy and gladness
And to shed Your blood in sadness.
By this blood redeemed and living,
Lord, I praise You with thanksgiving. 

"Soul, Adorn Yourself with Gladness"
from, The Lutheran Service Book, 636
Text:  Johann Franck, 1618-77
Translator Catherine Winkworth, 1827-78
Tune:  Johann Crüger, 1598-1662; 
setting: The Lutheran Hymnal, 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment