Tuesday, July 2, 2013

67. Beginning the questioning in Switzerland, with Swiss Black Powder

With years having gone by, I felt strongly that lots of information was waiting to be discovered in the country of Friedrich's origin, Switzerland.   How could I ever reach the archives that were embedded there?

As I have related, I decided to give up finding anything personal about Friedrich, but to attempt to find out something about his profession in the manufacturing of Swiss Black Powder, that mysterious substance that appeals to all men (but not so much to women).   Naturally, I knew absolutely nothing about it.    And here, with that not-so-inert substance, began popping the final phase of discoveries. 

It was as if God Himself were figuratively sweeping me along across the Atlantic Ocean deep into Europe, and flinging wide open the door to Switzerland, where He selected the only person in the world, an expert who was capable of helping me think through and process the discovery of facts in Switzerland.  

Well, I don't mean I had any visions, because of course, I did the practical thing, checked the Internet (which by now was quite developed).  There I found the excellent website of Ulrich Bretscher.   He declared in his home page, that if anybody had questions, that person should write to him.   Accepting his invitation, I wrote an email to him, and he wrote back.   I sent him easy questions at first, but as he could answer them quickly and easily, I began to think of harder questions for him.   There were no challenges too difficult for Herr Bretscher.    He was determined to answer each question, and he did.  If he didn't know for certain, he would give me his opinions and Swiss sensibilities about the subject, being my Swiss mentor from then on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment