Friday, February 22, 2013

10. Friedrich, the main character

In February so far we have recollected two birthdays and discovered a gravestone in a cemetery, which led us to consider not only the death but also the Good Friday birth of our "main character," Friedrich Treuthardt.   We have remembered (with fondness) the Krieg family authorities who were the children of Gottlieb and Ida Krieg, and grandchildren of Friedrich and Anna Treuthardt.   

You observe that I have not given you detailed or burdensome information.   In this my introduction (10 posts), I have not told you much at all.    That's because I am leading you into the history the same way I got into it, a little bit at a time, without complete facts and dates, not knowing what to expect out of the effort.    You don't know what you are getting into, any more than I did.    But ... hang on.    For you it will be a far more greatly accelerated process than it was for me.

Friedrich is our "main character."   Around him, all my Treuthardt family history revolves.    Even before learning anything at all about him, I have always felt that my great-grandfather would be a worthy and significant subject for study.   He was the mysterious one that nobody in our branch of the family knew anything about, except that in Switzerland his occupation was foreman of a powder factory.   What sort of powder was a bit troublesome to determine, though several suggested it could be gunpowder.

There will be no exams in this course.   The only expectations for you are (as follows:)
  • to begin to feel a kinship with the land of our ancestors, Switzerland;  
  • to know where Switzerland is located and recognize the Swiss flag;  
  • to sadden when the story calls for shedding a tear at hardships and drama;   
  • to admire our ancestors for having produced a bunch of Texan [et al] descendants, namely us;  
  • to smile frequently about learning something new about your family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment